Elder McGhie's experiences as a missionary in Peru.

November 14, 2011

Living the Good Life!

HOOOOLLLLAAA FAMILIA Y AMIGOS!
Hey, Hey, Hey!  How are yall doing today!  Hope all is well, life is just great here in PERU!!!  I flippin love Peru!  So life is pretty great right now and I’ll tell ya why!!!  This past week has been pretty crazy!  Yesterday, Elder Brown and I were just POOPED!  There are some weeks when I feel super energized and I’m like oh sweet tomorrow is P day, but there are other weeks when it’s like… holy crap I need a P day haha!!  This week was one of those weeks!!!  We had splits, conferences, baptisms, crazy contacts, crazy lessons and it was nuts!!!  But that’s the way it should be!  So yesterday, its Sunday night and its 8 o clock, we hadn’t eaten dinner yet and we went to our appointment at 8, and they weren’t there, so the only thing I wanted to do was go to the Pension, eat dinner from 8 to 9 and head back to the apartment to take INformes (I think those are what they call and get from the missionaries in their zone but I have no idea what they are??)   and maybe, just maybe get to sleep before 11:30PM!!! Haha!!  But the Lord, as usual had different plans for us!  We felt like we should go and see how Edwin and Janiz were doing, cause they only attended Sacrament meeting and then they escaped!Haha!!  As usual, the Bishop asked Elder Brown and I to give talks, 5 minutes into the meeting… haha   So we were pretty occupied writing and giving our talks and they escaped from us! haha!  Oh, side note on my talk… I got up there on the stand and I was listening to Elder Brown´s talk (which was awesome, he was destroying with stories and scriptures, and it was sweet!) and the Bishop pulled me over and said, Elder McGhie your comp has now shown the ward what they need to do and why, with Doctrine and everything,  now you need to get up there and tell them why… They are GOING TO DO IT, haha!!!  He told me he wanted them ¨Trembling¨ haha!!   I chuckled and said, yeah sounds good, cause as ya know I don’t really give the deepest talks in the world, I  pretty much get up there, tell some stories, talk really loud and more or  less wing it…  But, I got up there and pretty much just told them how it is, that they can’t be going to the flippin market every Sunday after church, to go grocery shopping because they just partook of the SACRAMENT and made SACRED  COVENANTS with the LORD  to ALWAYS REMEMBER HIM and to KEEP ALL OF HIS COMMANDMENTS!  It was great!!!

NOW, back to my story about Sunday night, we were on our way to Edwin and Janiz´s house and this guy passed us in the street and said, HEY MORMONES!!!  I just thought, oh boy, here we go again…  He was slightly drunk, but still able to walk and process his thoughts, so we started talking to him and he starts off by telling us how we are wasting our time and why are we throwing our lives away!  I won’t lie, it really does bother me when people say things like that, Elder Brown also wasn’t too happy with this guy!  We were just about to tell him off, when he said that he wasn’t  worth our time to talk to him cause he was worthless!  It dawned on me that this was just a cry for attention, that he really was unhappy and had no idea that he has a Father in Heaven who loves him!   I immediately just testified to him that he was worth it, that he has a Father in Heaven who loves and knows him!  He just kinda looked at me like… What is going on?  I’m yelling at 2 Gringos and they are treating me well?  From that point on the whole feeling of the conversation changed, instead of just yelling at us, he started to actually talk and ask us questions, it was actually pretty cool!  He totally changed his attitude, well ever other word still was a swear word… I don’t know many cuss words in Spanish, but I picked up a few in that conversation to say the least, haha!!  So he said he was a member of our Church and his brother was a member too, but he is long since inactive!  He said that he has an 11 year old daughter and he is worried about her, so we invited him to come to Church on Sunday!!  It will be interesting to see if he actually comes to church Sunday, who knows??  It was such an interesting experience to see how his attitude changed and well, the entire conversation too,  with just one sentence, telling him that he isn’t worthless and that God knows and loves him!!!
Then we went to Edwin and Janiz´s house and THEY ARE GETTING MARRIED AND BAPTIZED ON THE 26th,  YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!  Please pray for them and also for Bayron and Geraldin who have baptismal dates for the 26th too!

Love ya all and keep it real!!!
ELDER SPENCER MARTY MCGHIE!
Ps... mom, we are 14 in the zone with 2 sister missionaries, 5 gringos and the rest are Latinos!!!  Sorry my flippin pictures DIDN’T WORK AGAIN!!!!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!  I’M soooo ticked!!  We have the best pics from my 1 year party with my shirt burning and teddy gram smores and blowing out my candles!!!  AHHHH!  LOVE YA!!  I’ll figure out how to send pics next week, I hope!!!!!!  CHAU!

Since I can’t get Spencer voice recording to load…………I was reading Spencer’s Companion, Elder Browns Blog and he tells some of what Spencer talks about in his voice recording and also he just talks about things that Spencer didn’t talk about, so I am going to copy and paste part of Elder Browns email on here so you can read more about their week as companions and missionaries!!  I probably should have asked his mom if it was okay to copy and paste part of Elder Browns email on Spencer’s blog……………….I hope she isn’t upset that I did this……….I will write her as soon as I get this posted and if she doesn’t like it I will remove it, okay, I feel better about this now =)!!!
Here is an excerpt From Elder Keaton Browns (he is Spencer companion and he is an Amazing Missionary!!  We are so thankful that Spencer gets to have such a great companion!!!!)   Blog and a link to his blog too!!! 

“So last Thursday after the temple we went to downtown Lima with the whole zone, it was pretty fun.  We went to the Plaza de Armas and a museum with artifacts from Peru and paintings and a whole bunch of other cool stuff.  It was a good time and it was good to get to know everyone in the zone.  Then Friday we went on divisions with Elder Giocochea and Elder Udall. I went with Elder Giocochea from Chiclayo Peru and we had a good time.  Then Saturday we had a baptism, it was really good and everyone had an amazing time.  Then Sunday was a normal Sunday.  It’s awesome cause right now we’re teaching a family.  The parents, Edwin and Janice aren’t married, so for the past couple of weeks we’ve been teaching them about the church and about everything.  A couple of weeks ago we taught them about the law of chastity.  So when we went on Sunday to visit them, they informed us that they are going to get married and now they have a baptism date for 26 of Nov.  I’m so excited for them.  They are so awesome and need the gospel in their life.  They have learned so much and just want to keep learning, they are the best.  We’ve been praying so hard for them and yesterday we saw the blessings.  The Lord is so powerful and we are nothing.  That’s something that I’ve learned here in the mission is that after all we do we are still so weak, but the Lord is merciful and blesses us so much more than we probably deserve.  We definitely saw the hand of the Lord working with Edwin and Janice.  It was funny because when they told us that they wanted to get married, Elder McGhie got super excited and gave me the biggest hug right there in the middle of the lesson.  Edwin and Janice thought it was hilarious.  Then all the way home we were so pumped.  The night finished in the room with a 10 minute celebration dance party.  We were so pumped.  We are also teaching this one guy named Bayron, he is 22 and really awesome.  He went to the church after an invitation from Elder McGhie.  We’ve been teaching him and he is super excited for his baptism the end of this month..”
I love that Elder Brown talks about things that Spencer never remembers to mention, like what they did on their P day and about going on splits with other missionaries!!  I had to laugh right out loud when I read that Spencer was so excited about Edwin and Janiz wanting to get baptized that he jumped up and gave Elder Brown a big hug right in the middle of the lesson!!!  I can totally see Spencer doing that and it is so great to know that Spencer is still……………well, Spencer =)!!!
I hope you all are doing great!!!  Thanks for all your love and support!!
Carrie =)!!!



No comments: