Elder McGhie's experiences as a missionary in Peru.

April 25, 2011

Semana Santa


Hoooollllaaaa!

I´m sure by now mom is having a total freak out cause she hasn’t gotten an email from me yet today(FREAKING OUT IS SORT OF AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!..THIS IS CARRIE BY THE WAY J!!)!  It’s because we had a little conference with President Leyva, well the leaders did, the District Leaders and The Zone Leaders, so I was in splits with the other district leaders companion and so, it was a great morning!  We had breakfast, I got like 3 hours of personal study and we had a solid companion study and i got to take an hour nap!!! I was so dang happy!!!

Well to start out, let’s just say that, Easter in Peru is not at all like Easter in Utah!  Haha, so Easter is a whole week long here.  No one has school or works, they call it the Semana Santa, or The Holy Week and pretty much it’s just like spring break or something?? haha.  Except for the part where they actually reenact the crucifixion of Christ? Yeah here in Huanuco, they have like actors and they actually like beat em and spit on them? I dont know how you could do that when the person is acting as Christ and then they spit on them but I guess that is how Christ was treated so they want to make it real???  Ohhh the Catholics in Peru, i just don’t get it!  But anyways so Thursday they all stop selling meat, so my pension made us fish, it was alright, but then she asked me if i wanted soup, i said, Well, Why not, I love me a good soup... but this was no- good soup! It was a soup of fish eggs!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! And yes you know i ate that whole darn thing!  Just smiling and acting like it was just the best thing i had ever eaten.  It wasnt too bad, it was just the thought that i was eating fish eggs... AAAHHHH, well my exclamation key stopped working, but just imagine a whole crap load of exclamation points there.  It was easily one of the weirdest things I have eaten, but hey…. Welcome to Peru (with exclamation points).  Well this has been a pretty well, I cant lie… hard week, but I’ve learned a lot.  This week was just a weird dream almost.  I cant lie i read Ainsleys email about her graduating and it was late at night before my prayers.  I cant lie, i was just balling in my prayers.  I haven’t cried in quite a while, and it just all came out.  I think something  just hit me this week, with my struggles with my comp, our struggles in our area, (we had no investigators
progressing) and just reading the letter that my big sis, is graduating from college, just hit me like a bag of bricks.  I just realized wow, i have almost been a missionary for 6 months?  What the heck, and my mission is one forth over almost, i dont know, i was just thinking of all our good times, me and Ains and i just broke down, I was never supposed to get old, i mean what the heck im turning 20 in like 4 months, and then i read Collins letter about him graduating and all that and getting ready to go to BYU and i was like WHAT THE HECK is going on in this world.  It seems like yesterday i was with Ainsley and she was driving me in Lola to baseball practice or just hanging out.  And what happened?  Yesterday i was with Collin and all my buddies just hanging out being a kid, a year ago it was me at the student government inauguration, I dont know it just all hit me all at once and i just was in shock, but all is well now!  I’m just back to work again.  Well, enough of me being a baby i have to tell you about our service project Thursday.... CONSTRUCTION IN PERU IS NUTS;   My pension is building the back of her house, which we destroyed for her, like a month ago, but this time we got to lay the roof!!! It was so awesome and so nuts, i have to send you the pics.  We just had one machine and we had to fill up our buckets from the little cement machine, put it up on our shoulders, hike up a homemade step ladder on the side of the house and then pour the cement.  Their insulation is foam with cracks for the wiring to go through!!! Pretty much the most nuts thing ever, it was dang hard but so awesome.  It was such a crazy experience.  I was just comparing it to when we laid cement in our house in Utah, with wheel barrows a giant truck to pour the cement compared to what we did here so awesome!!!!! Well im going to bail out here so i can send ya the pics!!! I GOT MY PACKAGE!!!! Hooray!!!! and the office called and they got the package from Kyle so I’ll get it next week, I haven’t had a chance to open the package yet it, but im so excited!!! (hey,the exclamation mark is working again!!!!) Love you so much fam! The mission well is dang hard, but the change i can already see in myself is amazing.  I have grown so much, and i just dont know what to say, other than I LOVE THE MISSION!!! And please pray for me! I would send you investigators to pray for but there arent any.... woof!!! Well love you sososososososososososo much! You’re always in my prayers, Con mucho mucho mucho Amor! (With very, very, very much love, thast what Marty said it meant in English!)
Elder Spence Marty McGhie!





Add caption

Add caption

Add caption

  
Add caption


Add caption


Add caption


Add caption


No comments: